Thursday, July 2, 2015

Beautiful Sights and Uphill Battles

If music be the food of love; play on.-- William Shakespeare

Today marks the unofficial beginning of Fall marathon training with the Chicago And Marine Corps Marathon in October and the New York City Marathon in November. I have no intentions of running a marathon this Fall but I'm conditioned to get in gear in early July.

Atlanta is a cool running town. It's big enough to have tons of things to see and small enough to get there on foot. I did a 6.28 mile run and I had to control myself from taking more pics. Skybiew Atlanta was cool last week when I visited with the family but seeing it with lights in the dark was downright artistic. 

I do wish that I had known about the less than gentle incline along Auburn this morning. I didn't expect that much work today but seeing some is this stuff was worth the extra effort. I also wish I did a better job at choosing a playlist. I ran past the Ebenezer Baptist Church where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Was a preacher. As I ran by, the I listened to Pusha T, My God. It was almost disrespectful. Maybe disrespectful is extreme but it certainly did not fit. 

I want to build a playlist with Classic Western Music but it has to work with my route and my intensity. I probably wouldn't shuffle a list like that. It would have to be precise, almost surgical where the surges in the music match the surge in effort. Or even those moments where one needs to reign themselves I the music could match with calming, serene melodies like Fur Elise by Beethoven or uphill runs could be soundtracked by Promontory from Last of the Mohicans. It always seems like that song is for battles or going uphill.

Despite the score of this particular run would have been best served by classic western music, as I approached my turnaround I felt that "We gon' make it" by Jadakiss and Styles P would have bought me into the halfway mark strong and ready for a good kick back home. 

For now, it's foam roller time and learning more about my new running headphones. The wireless bud from Yurbud. I read reviews and it said best fit. After that I was sold. I just spent the last six months or so running with the Apple headphones. Those are great for anything but running. I sweat like Patrick Ewing back in the days and after half a mile, I'm tucking those things back in my ear every hundred yards. I'll report back Saturday how they felt in the AJC Peachtree Road Race.


No comments:

Post a Comment